How to check for bed bugs in a hotel room?
How to Submit a Bed Bug Report?
Just follow these simple steps:
- Find the hotel you stayed at by using the search box at the top of every page.
- If you can find it, search for the city where the hotel is located.
- Click on 'Write Report' button on the hotel or city page and complete the form.
What does a bedbug look like?
Bed bugs are little mites that are hard to see with a naked eye. They tend to be dark brown in color, and oval in shape. Sometimes, however, they can appear red after they have fed on a meal of a host's blood. They have very small wings, but they are vestigial and the bedbugs are actually unable to fly. Instead, bed bugs move about by scurrying very quickly. Due to their very small size, what you see may not actually resemble a bug. A large bedbug measures 5 mm in size (about the size of an apple seed), though younger ones are only 1 to 2 mm in size.
Bed bugs can be very hard to find, especially in a room that you aren’t familiar with. They are even more difficult to find, if you can’t dismantle the bed and the floorboards (two of their favorite spots to hide.) Bed bugs can be seen with the naked eye, but you can also use a high powered magnifying glass to help you see them. The common bed bug is a reddish-brown color and is a flattened oval-shape.
First check for fecal and bloody spots bed bugs leave behind. They typically look like rust that has been left on the sheets and pillowcases. Next, check for the actual bugs. They particularly like dark and isolated places. Some of the places to be sure to look are:
- Electrical switch plates
- Behind the baseboards if possible
- All parts of the mattresses (behind, underneath, top)
- Any extra sheets, bedding or furniture that is left in the hotel room
- Cracks in the head board, foot board and railings
- Drawers in all the furniture
If you don’t see anything, then you are most likely safe. If you have any concerns, ask people who have stayed in the hotel. Also ask the manager if they have had any bed bug infections in any of the hotel rooms.